The International Bornean Frog Race 2017
1. The welfare of frogs is primary to the goals and objectives of the Race. The following rules were formulated to ensure that no frogs are harmed during the event.
2. The Race is open to all physically fit persons. However, the general public can attend the exhibition and talks.
3. All participants have to register online in order to obtain an official entry to the Frog Race.
4. The Frog Race will start with flag-off at 7:00 pm and end at 9:00 pm, on 29 April 2017. All Race participants are required to submit their images to the Image Receiving desk at Gunung Gading HQ by 9PM.
5. Race participants will have to wear the official Frog Race 2017 T-shirt, and wear numbered arm-bands (both supplied by the organisers to registered participants).
6. Participants should make every attempt not to disturb amphibians, such as placing strong light sources too close to the eyes of frogs. Such behaviour causes stress to frogs, and may cause temporary or permanent damage to their eyesight and in addition, lead to stressed frogs being photographed. Images showing such frogs will not be accepted for the competition by our judges
7. One winner will be chosen for the following two categories:
a) Most number of amphibian species found, and
b) Rarest amphibian found
8. Three winners will be chosen for the best amphibian (including frogs, toads, caecilians and tadpoles) photos (in DSLR, compact camera & mobile phone categories). Each participant is eligible to enter only one category (DSLR, compact camera or mobile phone).
9. Participants must submit their results at 9:00 pm. Late submissions will be disqualified.
10. The judges’ decision on each photo contest category is final.
11. Race participants are allowed to take photos only along the predesignated trail at Gunung Gading. Volunteers along the trail will ensure both the safety of the Race participants and of the frogs. Excess disturbance (e.g., usage of flashes beyond acceptable quantum, currently put at three; handling of frogs or destruction of vegetation and other habitats) will be noted for transmission to the judges.
12. All participants will receive a certificate of participation from the organizers.
13. Registration fees are required to participate in the Race, payable in cash or online payment system. Payment is non-refundable.
*Please refer to REGISTRATION FORM.
Do's and Don'ts of the International Bornean Frog Race
The International Bornean Frog Race Judging Criteria
1. Most number of amphibian species found
(the winner of this category will be the participant who photographically documents the most number of amphibian species)
2. Rarest amphibian found
(the winner of this category will be the participant who photographs the rarest amphibian, as determined by the judges)
3. Best amphibian photo taken
(For DLSR camera, three winners will be judged according to the following criteria below. Only one entry per participants is allowed. For compact camera and mobile phone categories, only one winner will be chosen).
“Best Photos” Judging Criteria
1. How technically correct is the photo? (20 marks)
Are the following the best they can be? Focus, sharpness, detail, depth of field, colour, brightness, contrast, saturation, usage of light.
2. Subject matter/ Content (20 marks)
How well does it fall within the Bornean Frog Race objectives?
3. Creativity (20 marks)
4. Composition (20 marks)
Where does our eye lead to in the photograph?
Is it creating the visual impact it should?
5. Do I like this photograph? (20 marks)
Total score: 100 marks